Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mărţişor

Mărţişor is the traditional celebration of the beginning of the spring in Romania, Moldova and Bulgaria on 1 March. The day's name is the diminutive of March (in Romanian Martie), and thus means something like "little" or "dear March".
Nowadays, men offer women a talisman object also called Mărţişor, consisting of a jewel or a small decoration like a flower, an animal or a heart, tied to a red and white string.
However, giving a little nickel tied to a red and white string is an old custom and was originally designated for both men and women.
It was believed that the one who wears the red and white string will be powerful and healthy for the year to come.
The decoration is a symbol of the coming spring. A woman wears it pinned to her blouse on this day and up to two weeks after. Occasionally, women also give such gifts to men.
In some parts of Romania such as Moldova or Bucovina the symbol of spring was a gold or silver medal which was worn around the neck. After wearing the coin for twelve days, they bought sweet cheese with the medal, because it was believed that their faces would remain beautiful and white the entire year.















16 comments:

dakull said...

uau, that looks nice

Adina Rusu said...

Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

ce frumoos :X >:D<

cridiana said...

Sa ai o primavara frumoasa, plina de soare si cu putin stres :)
Foarte frumoase martisoarele! Felicitari.

Adina Rusu said...

Deeana, Cridiana, ma bucur ca va plac martisoarele mele. :)

Ana Encarnação said...

Hi Adina.:)

What a beautiful tradition. It touched my heart.:,)

Kisses****************

Adina Rusu said...

I'm happy you like our tradition Ana! I wish you a sunny and joyful spring!
Lots of kisses!

marilia said...

Hi! My name is Marilia and I'm a teacher from Greece. My English are not to good... I was searching about "origami" to the Net and I found your blog. You make very beautiful things and I wonder if it would be possible from children to do something like that...

In Greece we ware the red and white spring to protect ourselves from sun berns in March! :)

Congradulations for all these beautiful things!!! :)

Gregorio Omar Vainberg said...

Adina
very happy spring for you,
Moldova é a terra dos meus antepassados, meu avõ y me bissavõ vierram de Bessarabia no ano de 1909, !cem anos atras! e eu estou me conectando con meu passado. Espero que possa entender as minhas palavras, senão terei que traduzir ao ingles.
Um abraço desde Bahia Brasil
Untalgregorio

Adina Rusu said...

Untalgregorio,
I can understand what you're saying, but I don't know how to write in your language, even if I understand most of it.
I'm happy you're connected with your past, and so you should be, because Basarabia is a beautiful land, with a great history.
Have a happy and joyful spring as well!

Gregorio Omar Vainberg said...

Republica Moldova este cea a terenului de stramosii mei, pe bunicul meu si cu mine bissavõ vierram din Basarabia în anul 1909,! Sute de ani în urmă! si eu sunt de legătură cu trecutul meu. Sper să pot înţelege cuvintele mele, dar trebuie să se traducă în limba engleză.
O imbratisare de la Bahia Brazilia
a fost tradus de către Google, erorile sunt datorate de el.
o imbratisare

Untalgregorio

Anonymous said...

Cum le faci ..te rog zimi si mie:)Mersi

Adina Rusu said...

Daca vrei sa inveti sa faci fluturele, da click aici: http://origamiromania.forumgratuit.ro/la-scoala-f11/alexander-swallowtail-butterfly-t67.htm#1058

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hi Adina, I discovered your blog last week and I've spent hours reading every single post! Your work is beautiful and very inspiring: since that I've made my first 4 kusudama balls ;o)
I was wondering if you would share the folding instructions for some of the designs shown on your blog?
Cheers
Maï

Adina Paun said...

Mai, thank you so much for your words and appreciation, I feel flattered!
Is there a particular model or models that you'd like to try?
Let me know which ones, or if it's easier for you, write me an email at " adina_4ever@yahoo.com " and I hope I'll be able to give you the directions!
Have a wonderful evening and enjoy folding! :)